Friday, June 13, 2008

Palmer Gulch KOA (near Mt Rushmore)

It is super-nice here.  Our rv spot comes w/a fire pit and a picnic table.  With a view of the mountains.  And our very own tree.  Nice!

We decided to enjoy the KOA offerings today.  B & Pat went to the pancake breakfast (at least one of us has to stay w/the dog), and they said I didn't miss much.  Then B & I went horseback riding (90 mins) while Pat took Pepper trail-hiking for 3 hours.  We all met up for pizza & ice cream at a KOA cafe (Pepper could stay w/us, because they had outdoor tables).  B bounced on the huge pillow (looks like a gigantic air mattress) with the other camp kids - that kept her entertained for about 20 mins.  I rented the funny-looking recline bikes for B & me, and we toodled around the campsite for almost an hour.  Pat took B to the karaoke show where she got to be a star for one song.  Now we are starting a fire to roast hotdogs & marshmallows for dinner.  Oh, and this KOA has a scavenger hunt for the kids to complete and win a prize.  We've found almost half of the clues, need to finish before we leave so B can collect her goodie! 

I've never done KOA camping before, and wasn't expecting much.  I can honestly say this is a really fun place for families.  I would totally do this again.

We found a local doggie day care to take care of Pepper tomorrow (Sat), so we will be free to explore Mt Rushmore monument up close (dogs not allowed close up) and the Crazy Horse memorial.   Sunday we drive to Yellowstone.

p.s.  - forgot to mention, B got healthy before we left Dallas.  the dog was completely freaked the first 2 days of the trip, but is settling in nicely now.

3 comments:

Oma said...

So glad the campground is nice. Helps to make up for the previous two days. Does B like it? My heart is with you, even if my body's not!

Anonymous said...

Hi-
I just happened upon your blog when looking for a doggy day care. I am travelling to Mt Rushmore this weekend and we have a little puppy we are taking. Can you give me the informtation to the day care you found on your trip?

mikell.osburn@gmail.com

Thanks,

Mikell Osburn

Unknown said...

Hey. I am also looking for a doggy day care recommendation for Mt. Rushmore. Who did you use, and what was your experience? Thanks!!! kaphine@gmail.com